Friday 8 June 2012

Guest Post: Dancing in the Streets


Taking the opportunity to connect with other bloggers in the Twitterverse, I asked The Hungry Manc - normally found on his own blog page - to write a post about his recent foray out of the world of food and into the world of musicals...






















There are a couple of things I don’t do. Firstly I have never written a post that didn’t somehow involve food and/or drink. Secondly – musicals.


However, here I am writing a non-food post about a musical. I think the kids these days call that an epic FAIL!


I have been to a musical before (20+ years ago), but that was Les Miserables and the topics of revolution and war seemed blokey enough for me to go along. So when a friend of mine called me up and said that they had a free ticket to “Dancing In The Street” at The Palace Theatre, I was somewhat sceptical. However I abandoned my plans to attempt to eat the biggest sandwich in Manchester (un-confirmed) and decided to try something different.


As ever, and as I do on my regular blog, I did very little reading about the subject prior to going along. I am not a fan of having my judgement clouded, either way, by the opinions of others. I’ll happilydiscuss the merits or lack of with you after the event but I’d rather make my own mind up first.


So after a pre-show drink at The Cornerhouse we wandered over the road, shuffled in to our sits and awaited the show.


Now, not being a regular theatre goer, talent spotter or bitchy critic I will not attempt to tell you how good each of the performers was. What I will say is that I had a thoroughly enjoyable 2½ hours being entertained by classic Motown songs performed by singers, who, while not the original stars were certainly more than competent to my uneducated ears. Not so much impersonations but homage to the likes of The Temptaions, The Supremes, The Four Tops, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas and more besides. All performed with just a touch of humour and a nod and a wink to the undertones of some of the tracks.


Did I enjoy it? Well if I tell you that by the end of it I was dancing in the aisles (if not the streets) I think that says enough.


As far as I know the show leaves town very soon but if they return be sure to get yourself along. It's just good fun.


Oh and just so you know dear reader, I think I can safely say that I have still only been to one musical. This show is definitely more a collection of great songs, a celebration of the genre of music with a few interesting facts scattered in along the way.


So keep dancin’


THM

No comments:

Post a Comment